Monday, September 8, 2014

Around the House: Favorite Vintage Finds

It's no secret that I love knick knacks aka dust collectors aka "treasures". Since I've moved out on my own this past year I've spent a lot of time going to antique malls, flea markets, and vintage fairs ever in search of the newest item to fill up the empty spaces in my home.

Floating glass fish- less maintenance than your average pet. 

I love the experience of tracking down long-forgotten treasures amongst the dusty shelves of my local antique mall or flea market. When I spot my new find I stop, do a double-take, and then bask in the burst of joy in finding a new item for my collection. 

The Siamese pair, which I'm guessing to be from the 1950s, are one of my favorites. I love items that have history and imagining the stories behind them. 

Here are my rules for antique hunting:
1. I must love it. If my heart doesn't race when I see it or I am on the fence about it, it stays on the shelf. I don't have room for things I don't truly love. 

The kitten statue (which matches the larger one I already had) was a must-have. I knew as soon as I saw it that it was coming home with me. 

2. It must be reasonably priced. If it's not within my budget, it doesn't come home and I save the money for travel and experiences. I would rather make memories than have things. 

Not only were the bird paintings in my price range ($6 for the set), I also knew where I would put them when I saw them. 

3. There must be a place for them to go. If I don't already know where the item is going, it will just end up being clutter that gets in the way. It's much better off being in someone else's home. 

Thanks for letting me share my collection with you. What are your tips for flea markets and buying vintage?



No comments:

Post a Comment